Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Heal it, please!


The other day as Lizzy, Andrew, and I enjoyed our afternoon walk to get Annabelle from school, Lizzy fell and scrapped her knees. I don't think I remember the last time those knees didn't have some sort of scrape or cut, it's been way too long since they have been free from injury. So I told her to stand up, brush it off, and keep moving.

However this fall was pretty bad and soon she was dripping a good stream of blood from both knees down her legs. As we walked across the crosswalk the crossing guard suggested we go see the school nurse. So we did, Lizzy crying the whole way because of her knees and the fear of getting a bandaid.


Finally we made it to the nurses office and the nurse started cleaning the wounds. Lizzy was practically hysterical at this point and I was trying to calm her down. Finally I asked her why she didn't want a bandaid. She looked at me wide eyed, turned her face toward heaven as if to beseech God and yelled right in front of the school secretary and nurse "I just want God to heal my owie! I don't want a bandaid! I just want God to heal it!"


How often do we do that? We just want God to fix our pain without going through any recovery period. I know I do - I just want the end result without the painful healing process. Luckily Lizzy praises God throughout her healing processes as well - each day proclaiming that God is healing her owies and they don't hurt anymore. I pray that would be my heart as well when things get hard - I'm sure I'll want him to fix it but I pray I'll be willing to praise him in the healing processes as well.

1 comment:

The Eyes said...

hey, nice post. we miss you guys.